Sunday, February 15, 2009

It's Animal Dental Care Month!


February is Animal Dental Care month, oh how fun. If you are a dog owner this shouldn't be too much of a problem. Dogs are much more receptive to brushing teeth than cats. They also have special brushes for dogs that are flavored. So while you dog is enjoying a tasty treat, you can be taking care of his oral hygiene. If you have a cat like me, its not so much fun. My cats won't stay still long enough for me to even think about looking at their teeth. I do give them a toothbrush to chew on and play with in hopes this will do some good. Not sure about that thou. For me the only real option is to take them to the vet to get their teeth cleaned. I'm not a big fan as I do not like anesthesia but I realize their oral health is more important. Other things to check for during this month, look at the food and treats you are giving your pet. Do they in any way promote dental health? One good treat recommended by vets is Greenies. My cats LOVE them and they are good for their teeth, so they get little treats everyday. Also check your pet's breath. If it is too much to handle or causes your eyes to water at the stench, perhaps you should take a trip to the vet. This could be a sign of a more serious problem. Most humans hate the dentist so I'm sure our little furry ones do too, but it is a must. The responsibility of being a pet owner, or a pet Mom in my case, is taking care of their overall well-being. And that includes their chompers!

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, Whitney,
    Thank you for starting to follow my blog, Questions On Dogs and Cats. I see that you included some nice information on pet dental care in your posting for yesterday. Every reminder about that will hopefully help a lot of dogs and cats get better dental attention from their owners! I also enjoyed some of your other postings about your cats. Be sure to contact my blog site if you have any questions for me about your cats or any comment contributions you might have... www.questionsondogsandcats.blogspot.com or send an e-mail to: dogcatvethelp@gmail.com
    Thanks again!

    Dave
    Helpful Buckeye
    Flagstaff, AZ

    ReplyDelete