Thursday, February 5, 2009

Home is Where the Heart Is


As I woke up this morning, my first thought was of my Mom. Her beautiful smile and her melodic laugh. I'm not sure if it was the 31 degree weather in FL that reminded me of home. Or if it was my brother being here for a visit that reminded me. But whatever it was, I laid in bed thinking of my parents house. The everyday routine that goes on. And how I miss that routine. I miss my friends back home. I miss back home. And I wondered, do you ever get over those feelings? I haven't been gone long so I'm probably not the best to ask, but I know people who have been away from "home" for years and still miss it. I love having both places to visit. I love my current location. I love proving to myself that I am independent and can make it on my own. But right along with those feelings I miss my family so much it hurts. Everyday. If my family could be here with me that would be awesome. But would it be the same? Would I have grown as much as I have? Would I want to get out of FL and live somewhere else? Would I still appreciate them as much as I do? So I laid under the covers on this freezing morning in Central Florida, curled up with my little buddy Max, listening to him purr in contentment, thanking God for allowing me to be a part of such a wonderful and amazing group of people back home that I have the honor of calling my family. But also thanking God for taking me away from that group so I can truly appreciate them and their love. And also giving me the opportunity to find a new group of people, and new animals!, to know about, learn about and love.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog Whitney! When I first left home, I had some of the same feelings. What made it easier was that I didn't really have a choice. Well, I had a choice to join the Army, but after that, I was at the mercy of Uncle Sam. I will say that being gone for about 6 years made coming back home that much better, even though I'm still 3 hours away from where I consider home, at least I'm that much closer. I miss Botetourt, and hope to move back there one of these days. It'll be alright. Just don't let Brad eat all your food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney,
    I have a cousin, Whitney. She's a pretty woman like you. Must be something with the name. At any rate, I found your blog as it is linked to one that I have linked to my blog site. I'm glad to find you. I have to say, if you visited my blog, you'd read on more than one occassion, my musings about exactly this topic. I think, if you like where you were born and raised, no matter how far you travel from it, you always think of it as, 'home.' And, you always miss it. Wonder what's going on back there. Feel as if you're missing out on things. At least, it's that way for me. I'm going to check you out on this blog of yours, and hope you'll feel free to check out mine. If you'd like, find me at www.hollydietor.blogspot.com. I'll be happy to share with you when you do. Keep up the good work. Blogging isn't for the faint of heart!

    ReplyDelete